Quartiere Coppede can be found in the Trieste district (north of the centre of rome) between Piazza Buenos Aires via Tagliamentoand is a 20 mintute bus ride (8 stops) from termini on the 86 bus. All the buildings in Coppede are designed by Gino Coppedè who the area is named after. Building began in 1913 but came to a hault during the the first world war, the core of the building work was then completed by 1921. Tragcilly Coppede died in 1927 never getting to see his eclectic fantasy architectural mix completed. The work was however completed by his son Paolo Emilio André and the area covers 31,000m2 with aproxiately 40 structures.

"Quartiere Coppede Rome Italy"

The buildings of Quartiere Coppede take in all architectural styles including Ancient Greek, Roman Barroque and Medieval all seen through the eyes of Art Nouvea and Deco. The main entrance to the area is through an oversized archway which is richly decorated in the Barroque style complete with a coat of arms of the Medici family whose lineage became extinct in 1737. To further add to the fantasy element a large wrought iron chandaler hangs from underneath the archway.

Opposite the arch is a building reffered to as the fairy cottage and this best embodies the architectural style of the area incorporating such elments as a gothic stair case, a side of the house that is distintly floentine as well as one that is venetian. The space also includes a fountain called Fontana delle Rane or the frog fountain which is largely composed of 12 frog sculputers and stand at just over 2m tall and is a reimagining of fontana delle Tartarughe which can be found in Plazzo di Giacomo Mattei also in Rome. Other features of interest are one houses decoration based on musical notation including its fence and the ‘house of the spider’.

Quartiere Coppede triva:

The archway and door of Piazza Mincio 2 has been faithfully copied from a scene inthe 1914 box office smash Cabiria.

Italian director Dario Argento has use the area as back drop for several of his films